Thursday, January 29, 2009

Making pancakes

Spencer got up this morning convinced that I said we would have pancakes for breakfast this morning. As you will recall, we had eggs yesterday. (See I like Oakes). I didn't want to make pancakes but with the help of his father, Spencer prevailed in his arguments. The deal was that he would, "help," me make the pancakes. How can a mother walk away from a moment where her child is begging to spend time with her? She can't because she is a sucker to those eyes that she gave birth to and those pleadings that tug at the heart strings.

I taught Spencer how to flip pancakes. He was so excited. We watched the pancakes start to bubble and rise and then cook a bit on the edges. Then I showed him how to turn a pancake. It really was a sweet moment to share with my son. He wanted to keep turning the pancakes instead of taking them out of the pan. That eventually became ok though because he learned there is always more pancake batter that can be poured into the pan and more pancakes to cook and flip. He was so proud of himself and his new skill that he gave the first two pancakes to his sister just so that he could keep fliping pancakes.

No comments: